A delightful stone cottage set in open countryside in Glen Lyon, one of Scotlands most beautiful glens. Sleeps 4.
The Gardener's Cottage sleeps 4 people and is located on South Chesthill Estate. Also on the estate is Chesthill House, which sleeps 16.
This attractive holiday cottage dates back to the 1800s and was last refurbished in Spring 2014. It is located with wonderful views of Glen Lyon, one of the most beautiful glens in Scotland. The area around the cottage is particularly enchanging as some of the photographs show, including dramatic hills, open fields, mature trees and the River Lyon.
The cottage has a well equiped kitchen and comfortable bedrooms and living room, and wonderful views of the glen. It is both a perfect base from which to enjoy the surrounding countryside, and somewhere to enjoy a little quiet time away from the hectic hustle and bustle of life.
The changeover day is a Sunday. All prices are listed excluding sport.
Food and Drinks
Guests will be able to use the cottage's well equiped kitchen, which includes an electric cooker, freezer, fridge, microwave, and washing machine.
Sky televison and a DVD player are provided in the sitting room, for those days where wind and rain is rattling the windows!
House trained dogs are allowed downstairs, but not upstairs. If dogs are muddy or wet, please ensure they are cleaned and dried before going any further. Dogs that might cause any damage must please be kept in private cars.
Walking & picnicing
A picnic site and table is also provided next to one of the prettiest pools on the river. The Gardener's Cottage is an ideal base for those keen on more hill walking, with a number of Munros within easy reach, including Ben Lawers, a National Nature Reserve due to its rare flowers.
The area is also renowned for fishing and trout fishing permits are available on the River Lyon (these should be organised in advance). Salmon fishing permits may be available.
The catch is well spread over the spring, summer, and autumn, from April through to 15 October, with salmon caught weighing up to mid 20lbs.
Hind stalking is can be arranged, depending on availability, between November and February, and should be organised in advance.
Clay pigeon shooting may be available and is arranged directly with the Keeper, Ainster.
For golfers, there are nine hole golf courses at Aberfeldy, Kenmore, Strathtay and Killin, and an attractive 18 hole course at Taymouth Castle.
Water sports are available on Loch Tay.
Pony trekking is available locally.
There are many places of historic interest and gardens within easy reach, including the Fortingall Yew, reputed to be the oldest living thing in Europe!
Address: South Chesthill Estate, Glen Lyon, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland, PH15 2NH, United Kingdom
Check In: 16:00 (4:00pm) Onwards (no arrivals allowed outside this window)
Check Out: 08:00 (8:00am) - 10:00 (10:00am)
1) From Edinburgh airport and the south, aim for the Forth Road Bridge and then the M90 (easy sign-posts from the airport) then take the A9 towards Inverness.
2) Exit off the A9 north of Perth at Ballinluig and head west to Aberfeldy along the A827.
3) Before leaving Aberfeldy turn right at the cross roads onto the B846.
4) Head through Weem, past Dull, and a couple of miles later turn left at Coshieville towards Fortingall (signposted).
5) Go through Fortingall and turn right after 300 yards into Glen Lyon (signposted).
6) The cottage is c.3 miles along Glen Lyon. Pass a white cottage by the road on the right with antlers above the door, then the river gets very close to the left of the road. Pass two stone gate posts on your right (this is the drive to Chesthill House). You will then see the Chesthill House set back from the road on the right. Yours is the next turning, up a track to your right with a green box next to the road (the gate might be closed in which case close it after you please). The track bends to the right and you will then see the Gardener's Cottage is set back from the track on your left.
Driving or flying? Allow 1 ½ hours from Edinburgh.
Getting the train? Nearest station is Dunkeld (30 mins). Birnam Autocabs: 01350 728828. Order in advance.